29 March 2009

The Results Are In

In fifth place: Triumphator, sampled at Löwenbräukeller. A pleasant and uncomplicated beer.

In fourth place: Animator, sampled at the Hackerhaus. A more complex beer - the flavours of the beer develop on the first taste and continue on the aftertaste.

In third place: Maximator, sampled at the Augustinerkeller. More complex still.

In second place: Salvator, sampled at Paulaner am Nockherberg. In some ways closer to Animator than Maximator, but I have placed it above the latter because of Salvator's hoppiness. This gives the beer a hint of bitterness to balance the sweetness of the malt.

And the winner is: Unimator, sampled at Unions-Bräu. Unimator combines the complexity of Maximator with the hoppiness of Salvator. In fact, it appears to be more strongly hopped than the Salvator and, to me, has an even better balance between hops and malt.

Congratulations to Unions-Bräu. There is no prize other than my continued custom.

My conclusions are, of course, entirely subjective and personal. My drinking partner will, no doubt, deliver her own verdict in time.

Needless to say after a couple of litres of any of these brews the distinctions tend to blur.

2 comments:

The Clever Pup said...

Hi - boy I wish my husband would take an interest in blogging. He just returned from Munich and as expected he visited the Atzinger, Max Emanuel Braurei, News Bar, Seehaus, and the Weissesbrauhaus near the Alte Rathaus. He could have contributed to the taste taste!!

olli said...

Sounds like a great way to lubricate a business trip.

I don't think I've tried the News Bar yet - though it does get hard to remember after a while.

I thought they did a great job on remodelling the Atzinger. We go there regularly now.