07 March 2009

Memorial

Near the Theresienweise U-Bahn there is a memorial to the victims of a terrorist attack on Oktoberfest that took place in 1980. A bomb hidden in a rubbish bin exploded just after 10pm on Saturday 26 September. Thirteen people were killed and more than 200 injured.

The authorities concluded that one man - Gundolf Köhler - was responsible. Köhler was associated with a number of right wing and neo-nazi groups. He was also one of the thirteen who died, killed by his own bomb. The central column of the memorial names the twelve innocent victims of the attack.

This column formed the original memorial but last year it was removed from its original site and relocated here with the the shrapnel pierced semi-circular steel wall a new addition. The memorial was rededicated before the start of last year's Oktoberfest.

4 comments:

Jul said...

Good to know. We drove by this the other day and I wondered what it was...

olli said...

I knew there was a memorial somewhere but only found it a couple of days ago when I was out walking in the area.

I LOVE YOU said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,色情,080苗栗人聊天室,免費a片,視訊美女

Unknown said...

My parent's and I were visiting my Aunt & Uncle who lived in Frankfurt. I just turned 11 on September 15 when we arrived. September 26th, my fathers birthday, we all went to Munchen for the Oktoberfest. I was with my Aunt's girlfriend on the midway (where the rides were) for most the night while my family was drinking in the beer tents. As we were returning back to my parents, I turned to my right and saw several people "blow apart". I was in shock. My Aunt's friend said it was probably the canon that normally goes off but she checked her watch and it was only after 10 pm and she said the canon usually went off at 11. We went to the tent and suddenly everyone around us was in a panic. The word spread quickly. I had tried telling her what I saw but it was very noisy and she wasn't able to understand me. I will never remove that image from my memories, ever. Those poor innocent people and their devastated families.